Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo mass market tapes

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, David Lennick wrote:

> To this day I can't understand why anybody would have
> bought a Ronnie Aldrich album.

While this response is probably too much about music...but then it is
somewhat discographical in content...

Having bought many a Ronnie Aldrich album (but only if priced at less than
$1.) I will explain. One or two had attractive covers, however, the main
appeal was that they were so miserable, I felt my collection would not be
complete without a representative sampling of them.

I was introduced to the "art" of Aldrich by Dr. Ron Retherford...a
brilliant mathematician and a piano pupil of Dohnanyi. (Ron did a superb
discography of his teacher)...which reminds me, there are so many
wonderful discographies that ARSC could post...but I digress.

In addition to collecting the greats, Ron also collected the downright lousy,
like Aldrich and other purveyors of kitsch like Saint Preux.

I can thank Ron for introducing me to other concerted works for piano that
really do, in my opinion, scrape the bottom of the barrel...the piano concertos by
the Filipino composer Lucino Sacramento being amongst the best of
their kind...as to what "kind" that might be, I will leave it to your imagination.

And, to bring us full circle, recalling our recent discussion of the
Warsaw Concerto...my own personal choice for worst of the
worst being the Piano Concerto by Jordan Waring...a descendant of the
otherwise find choral conductor and inventor Fred Waring who made my favorite
arrangement of the Warsaw Concerto. While Richard Nanes used to be near the top of
pile of kitsch and the absurd, Jordan Waring seems to raised the bar. The
Waring is still available on CD, a must have for those who must have it
all...

Karl