From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Lennick
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:12 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo mass market tapes

"Steven C. Barr(x)" wrote:

> [...]
"backwards!").

Matter of fact, there's a television network in Canada called Global which
still
doesn't know that it has reversed channels on about half its programming. A
car
will drive off to the right and you'll hear it on the left (and no, my
living
room speakers aren't reversed).

> The ones I recall were the first stereo Beatles LP's...on which,
> when one played only one channel one only heard half the group!

Which of course was never intended to be the case. By the way, some really
early
Capitol LPs (aside from the Fab Four) had wide "hole in the middle" stereo
spread, and they never bothered to remix them when reissuing..like "Duets
with
the Spanish Guitar".

I remember some other early stereo LPs that made their way into radio
station
libraries and were still in use in the middle and late sixties, when we were
pointing out whenever possible that we were broadcasting in "scintillating
stereo" (or "magnificent mono"). Many of them sounded gawdawful when
broadcast,
especially when the entire program shifted from one channel to the other and
the
compressor got hold of the empty channel (Felix Slatkin's Magnificent
Strings
were the worst). And then there were the Twin Pianos of Ronnie Aldrich.
Twin, my
Aunt Fanny..they played the melody on the left for a while, then they played
it
on the right for a while. To this day I can't understand why anybody would
have
bought a Ronnie Aldrich album. Now the Fifty Guitars of Tommy Garrett..now
you're talking!

dl