Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound--real vs. recorded--was: discography of "direct-to-disk revival"?

At 02:48 AM 9/24/2006, phillip holmes wrote:
As you state in the second article, the noise floor is surprisingly low on this one recording I've listened to carefully. The whole thing is startling that it worked so well (noise floor, speed stability both seem very good). Frequency response seemed better than the specs given by AEG. They sound as full range as early American tape recordings. Did you look and see how high the overtones went (and the lowest fundamentals present)?

Hello, Phillip,

As you know the signal-to-noise ratio is determined by the maximum output level and the noise floor. The early tapes had very low maximum output level but also very low self noise. It was a challenge to set up a Sony APR-5000 to record on Magentophonband Typ L -- I had a 2 dB trough in the mid-band I couldn't get out with the machine's controls, so I just made a complementary curve in Samplitude. It was really an odd feeling:

Playback started from Samplitude, recorded on a Sony APR-5000, arguably the last great tape recorder to be designed (no relative judgment of the APR vs. some of its predecessors, other than it falls into the great tape recorder class) recording on the second major tape type to be made, circa 1944.

The results were good, except the Magnetophonband Typ L would not stand up to daily use--pinholes developed where oxide would literally fall out of the PVC matrix. Too bad as we had wanted the Mullin Magnetophon at the Pavek to play the 1947-10-01 "Philco Radio Time With Bing Crosby" Show that was the first to air that had been recorded and edited on tape in the U.S. -- playback from vintage tape on one of the two machines that recorded it.

As to the frequency response, I checked some spectrum plots in a PowerPoint I sometimes give

The 1944-09-29 stereo recording of the finale from the Bruckner 8th Symphony in C minor recorded by Orchester der Berliner Staatsoper conducted by von Karajan shows approximately 80-8K response. A 1946 recording, second generation shows about 63 - 10K response, with a spike at 50 Hz due to ummm...you know. This is Robert Lawrence and Lawrence Tibbett in Stuttgart 1946-07-19 mono. The Crosby tapes show roughly the same 63-10K response (1947-10-01). Burl Ives from the same period shows 50-12k5 response.

My next example of Gaite Parisienne from 1954 shows 20-20K -- Boston Pops/RCA/Fiedler.

Interesting, 1958-03-03 Eastman Wind Ensemble, Fennel recording of Leroy Anderson's Syncopated Clock shows 50-16K, but an excerpt from the 1958 London "Ring" - Entry of the Gods into Valhalla shows a good 20-20K. 1963 Judy Collins #3 shows 63-16K but with some energy at 20 and 20K.

In addition to the Engel-Hammar article I've referred to,
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/history/Engel_Hammar--Magnetic_Tape_History.pdf

You might also enjoy looking at my AES paper on the transfers of the first group of tapes.
http://www.aes.org/journal/suppmat/hess_2001_7.pdf

Cheers,

Richard