Re: [ARSCLIST] Of Discographic Interest

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, steven c wrote:

> [...]

I should mention that Allan's dissertation was on the subject of Music for
Piano and Orchestra and that he is also the author of "Shostakovich
Reconsidered" and has a new book coming out on Shostakovich.

One of my reasons in pointing out his discography was to provide an
example of the sort of resources that are not available through OCLC.
Another example is the list of my personal collection.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/xythoswfs/webui/kfmiller

I should mention that it is a composer title file only and hasn't been
updated since 1996.

For example, unless you knew of such web postings and/or personal
collections you might not know that a recording of a work like the Diamond
Sixth Symphony or whatever was held by anyone. Again, reminding me of the
need for a sort of wikicatalog of personal collections...perhaps a
worthwhile ARSC project????

Again, my way of pointing to both the wealth of material in personal
collections and the need to document it...especially since the task is
well beyond the abilities of libraries.

I still believe the provision of an easy to use, free access, online
system to catalog personal collections could have the potential to share a
wealth of information.

Karl