Re: [ARSCLIST] "All hail the analogue revolution..."

Peter Hirsch wrote:
Does the fact that I find this just a wee bit depressing mean that I'm just a fetishist regarding CDs and vinyl?

The main issue I have with iTunes, iPods and other manifestations digital music delivery is the complete de-contextualization of what I am listening to. No notes, questionable and mostly useless "artist" info, no art, no package whatsoever. I guess there are some exceptions where the stuff is made available as a pdf or displayed on your computer or TV screen, but it doesn't sound like that would be of any interest to the clients of "Jack the Ripper" that you refer to.

Indeed, some such clients do exist - enough to have made the Audio Encyclopedia a success. Several of the CD-ROMs were re-pressed after the first thousand sold out; a few are in their third 'printing'. Discographic information, illustrations, backgrounds and other non-audio material are included as appropriate, but many people report playing the discs in DVD players which provide for neither cross-indexing nor the supplements; many more are now downloading the files to their portable players though I include nothing substantial in the filenames (strict ISO 9660 leaves little space) and do not use ID3 tags.

The supplementary information and indexes are accessible on the CD-ROM when convenience and often fidelity are less important than context.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/