To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] MAGNA-REEL Sound Recording Tape

My dear old dad taped everything beginning around 1959..on quarter track, at slow speed, and re-using
old paper tapes he'd bought in the early 50s. Finally he began buying white box stuff (yeah, I know).
Hundreds of tapes are in his basement (which is dry, you'll be happy to know). I pulled out one pile the
other day and saw Jack Paar in London, 1961, guests like Spike Milligan and Larry Adler..stuff that may
not exist anywhere else. I can hardly wait to start salvaging that stuff..and I know I won't have the
time for the next 10 years......

dl

Tom Fine wrote:

And then there's always the mold that comes with moisture, which I've seen literally eat away old
Scotch 111 acetate tape. So here's the typical options for typical old tapes stored in typical old
private collection -- keep those tapes in the cold/moist/likely moldy garage or basement or keep
those tapes in the hot attic. Basement -- they can get eaten away and/or warp. Attic -- they warp
and might get so brittle that they won't play or get something akin to lost lubricant.

Yeah, folks, if you have something valuable to you or to posterity on reels, for heaven's sake
transfer the darn thing and till your digital garden regularly!

-- Tom Fine