Re: [ARSCLIST] MAGNA-REEL Sound Recording Tape

At 08:32 PM 9/18/2006, steven c wrote:

Thus the problem would appear to be to decide whether the tape should
be baked...or frozen...

Well, you never bake acetate tapes.

Freezing tapes is also problematic, but hopefully we'll know more about that in a year or so.

Theoretically, freezing acetate tapes (WHICH IS NOT RECOMMENDED AT THIS POINT) is the only known way to preserver them, but freezing tape is supposed to do irreparable damage to the tapes.

I believe this is what is known as a Catch-22. So, we need to find out how bad the freezing really is for acetate and polyester tapes.

Moisture is the big culprit in all the degradation, as far as I know, with heat being second. In fact, within reason, heat is a non-issue with polyester-based polyester-polyurethane binders. It's moisture that kills. Of course, there is more available moisture at higher temperatures.

Richard