Re: [ARSCLIST] MAGNA-REEL Sound Recording Tape

Most people's body chemistry and hygene habits are such that this is a Very Bad Idea. The natural chemistry and dirt/grime in the skin oil can cause the tape and/or heads to be damaged. Plus, in many areas, the air is so dirty that this oil is actually abrasive because it's laden with dust and pollen.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] MAGNA-REEL Sound Recording Tape

Next time I hit a squealy acetate tape, I may try the old "oil from the side of
the nose" trick again. (Or the forehead..got more lubricant there. And it's
natural.)

dl

"Richard L. Hess" wrote:

David,

Some lubricants work some of the time, but there is no room in the
matrix for the tape to take them up, so they just hang around on the surface.

Although we''ve been calling the tape squeal "loss of lubricant" it
isn't as what is assumed to be the original load of lubricant still
appears in the chemical analysis. It is no longer enough since the
properties of the binder have degraded.

Relubrication, overall, has a poor track record. Another restorer and
I had really hoped we could get it to work and we tried some really
nifty lubricants, with marginal success. The best relubrication
results have been with isopropyl alcohol as Marie O'Connell wrote
about and I published at http://www.richardhess.com/notes/ (just
search for Marie in the dedicated search box and you'll soon find it).

Cheers,

Richard