Re: [ARSCLIST] Not using headphones

There's a great blue-grass band, forgot the name but they've been on Austin City Limits at least twice and I think also on that West Virginia public TV show, maybe called Mountain Jam or Mountain Stage. They work around one mic, probably a dual-capsule condenser set at figure 8. These guys are experts at moving close and out, varying their dynamics for this beautiful natural balance and harmony, both vocal harmony and balanced between instruments and vocals. I doubt very many pros back in the day were as good at this technique as these guys. I wish I could remember their name, I think it's some brothers or a father and sons.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marcos Sueiro Bal" <mls2137@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Not using headphones

Lou,

True, as a blanket statement it is a bit useless. But  in a live situation,
I would almost always deal with a singer that is too loud than one that is
too soft, and I have encountered the latter far more frequently. Few singers
can overload an SM-58, although it does happen. But if you have a drum kit
and rock guitars behind a whispering singer... that's when the trouble
starts. I see that much more with younger perfromers, the ones that have
grown up overdubbing their vocals, or in a separate vocal booth.

There was one young band that played what they called "old-timey" music and
tried the "old-timey" approach of having just one microphone on a [small]
stage, which I was looking forward to. It was a disaster: their singing
could not be heard above their instruments, and they said they could not
hear themselves. Microphone or not, their balance was *acoustically* way
off.

Marcos

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lou Judson" <loujudson@xxxxxxx>