Re: [ARSCLIST] Not using headphones

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The basic aim of the current style is intimacy.
> Microphones have made this possible. Before mics, a singer had to be
> audible at the back of the theatre.
> >
> > There was one young band that played what they called "old-timey"
> > music and tried the "old-timey" approach of having just one microphone
> > on a [small] stage, which I was looking forward to. It was a disaster:
> > their singing could not be heard above their instruments, and they
> > said they could not hear themselves. Microphone or not, their balance
> > was *acoustically* way off.
>
> Maybe some singing lessons would help.

Of course, TWO things have changed! Pre-electronica, a vocalist had
to be able to project his/her/its voice to every seat in the arena...
but those arenas also had (in spite of a lack of "experts") VERY
good acoustics!

I recall hearing Vladimir Horowitz playing a piano concert in
Massey Hall (Toronto)...even though I was nowhere close to the
stage, I heard every note he played...clearly! "Experts" are
still trying to create the same acoustics in the modern home
of the Toronto Symphony...and, as I understand it, failing...
at least so far!