Re: [ARSCLIST] Video format preferences

You are correct about the price of DVCam tape.

Yes, DVCam is a Sony thing. Many, but certainly not all, machines play both.

Note - there was a time when videogrpahers were warned that it was not wise to mix tapes in the DV world. If you used Sony tape in your camera, you should not use Panasonic, JVC, Maxell, etc. This is because of the difference in tape lubricants. One was dry, the other wet, I forget which is which. It's like mixing water and dirt, you get mud and it gums up the tape path, causing tape crinkle and loss of data. It was true then, and although it is said to be corrected, I don't care to find out with my gear on my client's shoot. If you use Sony, use only Sony. If you use Panasonic or another brand, don't use Sony. Apparently it is OK to mix other brands.

Joe Salerno
Industrial Video Services
PO Box 273405
Houston Texas 77277-3405

Tommy Sjöberg wrote:
Thank you David!
Looking up DV-Cam (http://www.dvcentral.org/) it seems to be a proprietary Sony format, but maybe the other available formats are proprietary too? I must confess I feel a little wary, relying on Sony alone to supply future needs. Also, it seems the tapes are 4-5 times more expensive than MiniDV, the only video format I have come in contact with previously.

Greetings,
Tommy

--- Tommy Sjöberg <tommy.sjoberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Any and all help in this decision making is appreciated.

DV-Cam seems to be a popular format now, both for broadcast and industrial use. Popularity is always an advantage when you're looking to transfer something years down the road.

David Breneman david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx