Re: [ARSCLIST] Podcasting--explained a bit...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> There's definitely a difference between an archivist and a collector. And
there's also a big
> difference between a true collector and an accumulator. As any fan of jazz
knows, true collectors
> are gold because they'll have a great-condition version of a record -- be
it 78RPM or 45 single or
> even LP -- for which the master tape is lost or deteriorated. You see
transfers of 45 and 78
> versions end up on Mosaic sets all the time, for instance. On the other
hand, the accumulator is not
> as useful because has just, well, accumulated. He probably doesn't even
know what he has because he
> doesn't stop to take measure -- he just keeps filling his space with boxes
and boxes and boxes of
> records. Most of them are junk, not even worth the sweat equity of hauling
in. The junk clutters the
> whole scene, making it nearly impossible to find the gems. There's a
psychological problem related
> to blind acquisition of things, I forgot what it's called. Collectors (and
archivists) have our own
> psycho problems, so I certainly  shouldn't throw stones! An archivist is
one step beyond a
> collector. He's usually a funded professional, who has learned the
standard methods of preserving
> and cataloging his material. He is focused on preserving and accumulating
excellent samples of
> whatever genre his archive is all about. The achivist is a natural friend
and sometimes student of
> the collector, whose passion may have led to arcane knowledge way beyond
the scope of the
> archivist's formal education. The accumulator is kind of a pilot-fish to
the whole process. He might
> well have some very deep and arcane knowledge, and is thus worth knowing,
but usually he doesn't
> even really know what he has and is too busy accumulating to take the time
to dig deep and see.
> Sometimes, though, he's generous enough to let the archivist or collector
sift thru the mountains of
> junk (hopefully wearing masks and gloves to avoid mouse contamination) and
there may be gold in them
> thar stacks -- not likely but it does happen.  As time goes on and the
genre or artist or subject of
> interest becomes more and more out of date and obscure, the accumulator
becomes more valuable to the
> archivist because history has a tendency to become more and more
completist over time. You get 50
> years out and the only "new" shine you can put on something is to release
every rejected take or
> amateur live recording you can find. You get a thoroughly mined artist --
and legend -- like Charlie
> Parker, and all you're left to do is release amateur wire recordings of
solos only (not even
> complete tunes). And lo and behold, there will be at least a few buyers
for all of it! Meanwhile,
> out in the real world, the vast majority will have long forgotten the
whole thing and the archivist
> will have to fight for every penny every year. Guys, we live in a strange
universe.

Well, by Mr. Fine's high standards, I have to admit that I am an
"accumulator"
(as are about 95% of the people who think of themselves as 78 collectors!).
I've never been able to afford E+ copies of extremely rare and thus highly
valuable phonorecords (like the $7,000+ Robert Johnson Vocalions that pop
up on net auctions...!) and thus have to acquire the copies I can afford!

However, the above compendium completely overlooks collector/accumulator(s)
of my ilk! I acquire 78's primarily for discographic research (though I also
listen to my hoard...even the thousand-odd Grey Gull items!). One of the
fruits of this research, of course, has been "The (Almost) Complete 78rpm
Record Dating Guide." When I first offered this to the world, it was the
only work of its kind to be had...Bob Daniels, after corresponding with
me, offered his volume covering the period I intentionally didn't (now,
sadly, out of print)...and, as I understand it, the second edition of
Sutton's work offers some date information as well.

As he notes, "archivists" are usually institutionally-based and thus
funded (although "fully" may be open to question, especially as
neo-conservatives acquire political power through promises of tax cuts?!).
These are privileges, sadly, that I don't enjoy. In fact, I can't
even be sure there will be any institutional interest in my
shellac should I happen to go see Jesus...!

So, my goal (insofar as I have one...or am allowed to given my status
as someone dependent on official assistance) is to come as close as I
can to a shellac equivalent to Steve Abrams' C8T-file discographic
information archive. I don't expect to come close, though...!

In the meantime, it would be nice to have some of the contents made
available in a more portable form (it's difficult to make a bus trip
to Toronto carrying a hundred 78's, a player for them and a 40-mile
extension cord?!) and/or made available to others who might wonder
just what music sounded like back in them days (well, more or less...)

So...I'm archving discographic data more than music...the hard way...