To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Early stereo LPs: subject to mononuclearosis?

I remembered another "compatible" label from the same people, something like Philips World Series. Cut
very low level, or maybe only the Canadian pressings had this problem.

dl

Tom Fine wrote:

Wing was also a recession-fighter, introduced during the early 60's downturn. The series was
discount price and cheaply packaged. Not all Mercury executives thought it was a good idea but the
pop guys prevailed and the rack-jobbers loved it because they could stack 'em high and sell 'em
cheap. Simulated stereo was just a bad idea on all fronts, but it prevailed up into the 70s. There
were some interesting experiments done in a better reprocess method, both at Columbia Studios and at
Fine Recording. But it was costly -- book expensive studio time, set up an excellent full-range
speaker in a nice live room like the 30th St. studio of the Ballroom and then play the mono material
thru the speaker and record a stereo pickup to a new master. It actually works very well, especially
with recordings originally made close-mic'd or in a dead room. But it begs the question, why bother.
Just enjoy a well-mixed mono presentation. Electronic reprocess of mono into psuedo-stereo is a
degradation 99+% of the time.

-- Tom Fine