To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Podcasting--explained a bit...

steven c wrote:
Okeh...let me explain further. I currently have RealAudio v10, which can
record anything I can feed into my sound card...but as its own *.ra files
(the older version recorded them as slighly different *.ram files).
Audacity, which I also own, seems to comprehend *.ra format...which it
can thus save as .wav or .mp3 (there may be other options).

As I understand it, this means that once I get my "78 deck" (a seventies
"record player" with a stereo ceramic cartridge, which I'll be able to
plug  into the "Line In" jack of my sound card) properly soldered and
running, I should be able to create individual mp3 files of my 78's...
but one record at a time!

So, what I want to do is assemble these into larger, multi-78 .mp3 files...
possibly with spoken commentary (I need the adapter to fit my mikes with
1/4" plugs into the mimi-jack)...which I can then figure out how to make
available to the outside world (or at least the digitally-capable portion
thereof). Can this be done? If so, how and/or using what?

Finally, I've noticed that MP3 files vary in size (bytes) even though
they may contain music of the same length. Are there different forms/
styles/degrees/wothaveya of MP3's, and thus settings one can enter
or change (presumably) to adjust the sound quality? And...if so,
what would be best for 78's intended for everyday listening?

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

RealAudio and MP3 are lossy formats. They have different specific losses but of the same general type. Going through RA to MP3 ensures that they will be compounded.

Each has 'settings' for the amount of compression relative to WAV. The greater the compression (this will be news to no one), the greater the loss. An excellent MP3 compressor, such as that from the FII, set for the usual compression (11:1) costs half an octave of high-end response (relative to half the sample rate), but little more. RA loses less on the high end but produces lovely artifacts - spurious sounds and sound effects.

Even for 78s - a phrase I thought I'd never use on this list - compounding of such losses will hurt.

While editing can be done with MP3 or RA, I strongly recommend you edit your audio - including combining multiple files - in uncompressed form: PCM WAV. In fact, almost all audio editing is done in uncompressed form although the input and output may be compressed. In other words, you get to repeat and to compound the losses each time you pick up the file to fiddle with it.

Bottom line: However you capture your audio, output it as PCM WAV at your chosen sample rate, usually 44.1 or 22.05 ksps. Keep it WAV as you clean up the sound, combine chunks to make the program, adjust levels and balances and do all the other good stuff you want. Finally, output your longer file in whatever format with whatever compression you choose.

I still think you'd be better off with individual elements (perhaps each combining music and commentary) assembled via a playlist, but that's your option.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/