[ARSCLIST] File Size Confusion

All,

I was asked to pull a 10 minute section out of a much longer file today, but am unable to open it in WaveLab. It is an 8 hour(!) recording from one of our collections, committed to digital by the donor a handful of years ago, and saved as one continuous MP3. (I know, brilliant...)

Here's the specs on the file...
File Format: MP3
Properties: Mono / 48.0 kHz / 64 kbps
Length: 8h34mn222ms
Size: 235.29 MB

What's confusing me is this: The file is 235 MB but I cannot open it because (about 65% of the way though the decoding process) WaveLab 5 says that the file exceeds the 2GB size limit. What gives..?

I am able to open the file in Windows Media Player, iTunes, and other apps without an editing component BUT i obviously need to edit it in order to chop out the 10 minute section mentioned above.

Can anyone suggest a way to open this file in an editing app (preferably WaveLab 5)..?

thanks as always...and apologies if this is a dumb question, Brandon

_______________________________________ Brandon Burke Archivist for Audio Collections Hoover Institution Archives Stanford University Stanford, CA 94305-6010 vox: 650.724.9711 fax: 650.725.3445 email: burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx