Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes

Tom,
I thought that Q was THE first black man to be a VP at any major American company (I.E., not a black owned small business, but a large white dominated company). Am I misinformed on this?
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

3. Mercury was cited as being very progressive in their hiring, which is true. My mother was one of the first female vice presidents of a major record label. Quincy Jones was also among the first black vice presidents of a major label. Norman Granz was responsible for many of Mercury's early jazz efforts in one way or another, so his attitudes were influential from early on. What was very progressive about Mercury was that the attitude was, whatever works. If it sold well and sounded good, the attitude was they didn't care who was doing it and people were rewarded in a meritocracy. I do not think one could say all labels, especially the majors, worked this way.