To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] VHS and Beta (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity)

On 04/07/06, Tom Fine wrote:
the reels were cooler. I borrowed a pile of them, transferred them to
digital and burned to DVD-A discs. Some of the quad mixes were pretty
hokey but some were excellent, and the reels were later-era, so they
used decent tape, had less hiss and no edge warpage. Apparently they
were premium-priced, so no 3.75IPS junk either. If the quad disk
formats hadn't been such kludges, the format might have worked, but I
think even if the mass-market version (grooved disks) worked well and
sounded great, there just aren't that many people willing to double
the size, cost and complexity of their sound system. The same wall hit
by SACD.

SACD is more about better audio quality than about surround.

However, many people do now have some kind of crude surround setup as
part of a home cinema installation. That wasn't the case when
quadraphonic sound came out.

So I think the resistance to having to buy two more speakers will be
less now.

A bigger problem is that most popular albums are so badly recorded that
better reproduction may not be audible.

Regards
--
Don Cox