To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] VHS and Beta (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity)

Tom Fine wrote:

Hi Don:

This is actually not true. Last I read, vast majority of DVD owners listen thru their TV speakers.

The vast majority of DVDs aren't worth watching/hearing any other way. Who needs Adam Sandler in surround sound? For that matter, who needs Adam Sandler?

No way "many people" have anything resembling a surround system. Very low WAF (wife-acceptance factor), even for two large, full-range speakers, in most homes.

Fortunately, we went for running our VHS audio through the living room's system as soon as we bought a
HiFi VHS, and when DVD came along it replaced the CD player. I still haven't sprung for surround sound
and probably won't, if the SACD catalogue isn't going to be there.

dl

Yes, SACD was developed as a superior fidelity system, but when that tack totally crapped out in the
marketplace, the major backers switched to it being a surround system capable of "breathing new life
into old masters." The AES show in 2003 NYC featured a Sony/Philips booth where SACD was
"relaunched" as a multi-channel format. This was in reaction to the DVD-A alliance, who actually got
multi-channel titles to market but then backed off quickly when no mass market developed. The SACD
crowd tried "super-fidelity" 2-channel (Stones, Bob Dylan) and numerous remix/remaster multi-channel
discs. As far as I've read or heard, none of them have been barn-burners with sales. So, now, it's
evolving to a pretty small niche market. I'd bet it can be bigger and more profitable than, for
instance, audiophile LPs, but certainly not a mass market and likely not something a large
multinational record company would want to mess with much longer.

-- Tom Fine