To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 1:24 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] DVD audio level

At 12:41 AM 7/6/2006, Thomas Stern wrote:
I find that it is the rare exception that the level on the DVD is
at the same level as the tv channels - usually have to increase volume to get
reasonable level when playing dvd's.

When you get a properly aligned digital cable system and/or over-the-air DTV all properly using DialNorm, everything will have migrated to a lower Dialnorm level. Normal Dialnorm for a movie is about -31 dB. OTA TV is about -13 dB, so in a properly aligned DTV environment, the OTA channel would send a Dialnorm of -13 and be attenuated 18 dB.

This move is so there is a reallocation of the dynamic range so there is room for loud effects.

If you buy into the system (and it is part of te ATSC OTA DTV system), the DVDs are probably correct.