Re: [ARSCLIST] DVD audio level

They already offer digital boxes that will allow analog sets to receive the DTV over the air broadcasts. So no one will have to toss their analog set. Perhaps I should hook up my grandmother's old tube black and white set to watch digital broadcasts of Lucy, Honeymooners and the like. I believe that even the government has a program to help the less advantaged buy one of those boxes. My over the air digital is fantastic. I'm about 60 miles from the towers and the analog signal is pretty weak, but I can get enough digital with an outboard amplifier to pull in all the available programming. We also have Dish Network with a DVR. It's totally changed the way we watch television. I no longer channel surf. I find the programs I want to watch several days in advance and let it do it for me. A local radio show has a 15 minute weekly segment they call "what's on your tivo?". Interesting what people program. It also changes the way I watch sports. When watching football, I'll zoom through the first three quarters by hitting the advance button after every whistle. It's perfectly timed so that the ball is snapped within a second or so of the fast forward. Most cable and satellite programmers, including Dish Network and Direct TV have poor picture quality. I thought about upgrading to the HD Dish programming, but I don't think I'd get my money's worth.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lou Judson" <loujudson@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 7:18 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] DVD audio level

I hardly ever watch TV for the past 20 years or so, except a few oddities like Twin Peaks, Xena, Ally McBeal, and Medium... so you can see I am not mainstream in the least. If not for Netflix and DVDs I wouldn't have a TV any more...

I'm wondering - exactly when will analog TV and cable go away, and how
many NTSC televisions will end up in landfill?

This may have nothing to do with archiving analog audio, but it is a
fascinating thread...

<L>

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio