To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] VHS and Beta (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Longevity)

Not extra scenes but interruptions for inane commentary (the inanest). If people
want to spend $40 for a Criterion issue and get everything in the world (hey,
people, there are things called BOOKS that tell you these things), that's fine.
If there are different versions of the film, some producers put these on a
separate disc..great idea, costs next to nothing. If I pay a moderate price for
a DVD and all I want is the movie, then that's what should come up as the
default program. The "Don't Call Me Shirley" edition of Airplane has to be
programmed so as not to get the interruptions.

Other imbecilic DVD production examples:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 1..each dvd (double-sided) contains 8 programs
per side, but for some reason the display will only show 4 per side. You can't
choose the unlisted chapters (episodes) except by going to the listed ones and
hitting the advance button.

Ernie Kovacs..a nice 6-hour compilation of about 60 short scenes. Unfortunately,
they're all one the disc as one track.

The Silly Symphonies I gave up on because there are NO overall title displays,
no complete track listings, no numbered listings on the box..I guess you just
press play and put up with Leonard Maltin and watch the whole damn thing from
start to finish. Thanks, Walt..back to the vault.

dl

"joe@xxxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

I could not get my copy of airplane to play with the extra scenes, and you
can't get them turned off?

js