Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

----
> > Not from a recording, actually, and the suit was settled out of
> > court. The composer was Mike Batt, who simply credited a 1-minute
> > silent track on his album, Classical Graffiti, to Batt/Cage.
> > Here's an informative Wikipedia entry on the piece:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%2733%22
> > which points to this BBC story on the lawsuit:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2276621.stm
> > Alec
> Needless to say, I was kidding when I referred to a jukebox disc of blank
> grooves as being an edited version of the Cage piece and I'm sure Mike
Batt was
> as well. Copyright lawyers ain't got no sense of humor (duck, Lenny!).
Didn't
> the "Kazoophony" album feature a twelve-second version of  4'33" and
justify it
> on the grounds that a twelve-second sample was allowable with no payment
(under
> whatever laws applied in Canada at the time)?

What I'm more worried about, given the agressive attitude of CRIA, is
this! If I'm sitting around the house NOT singing or playing...do I
not infringe on the copyright of Cage's work every four minute and
thirty-three seconds?! I'm running up a huge royalty bill as I sit
here and type...