Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

yes, indeed! The worst are the rolling ghetto-blaster cars. On the Ampex list, discussion turned once to some sort of anti-bass wave generator that would cause the transducers (they're not really speakers, more low-frequency shakers) to feed back until they exploded. When those cars roll up on me, I think about the one time I went to a monster truck "rally." The featured event was "Stomping" on a bunch of souped-up little cars like these bass-fiends drive.

Regarding one of the earlier comments about SACD, the fact that the sub channel is often trans-coded to PCM, I read somewhere that most engineers who remix for SACD or record original multi-channel SACD content do not use the sub-channel. This is why SACD is best heard through 5 equal-sized speakers, and why some SACD's work terribly in a typical home theater setup.

----- Original Message ----- From: "steven c" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Admittedly, they're not my taste anyway, but with modern rap and
electronica CDs, I find the
practice to panning deep bass sounds to one side or another particularly
annoying. Just because you
CAN do something on a CD doesn't mean you should.

Well, a prominent bass is an important feature of 21st century CD's!
Buyers install "hyper-amps" dedicated to having a chest-crushing bass...
several hundred watts of signal feeding sub-woofers...and the fact
that your car (or your apartment) produces a thumping bass that can
be heard for blocks around is actually their goal! Needless to say,
dance clubs take the same approach (promising much-improved hearing
aid sales in upcoming decades, if nothing else...?!)