[ARSCLIST] Further thoughts on the new CLIR report. DVDs

This report suggests the use of DVDs, recorded at 24/96, be considered as a standard on which preservation work would be stored.

We know from last year's (?) NIST report on optical media longevity that the only medium truly capable of long-term, reliable storage is a CD with a gold reflective layer.  Unless it slipped past my radar, there is no such recordable DVD at present.  Using a DVD for long-term stoage appears as much of a gamble as using anything but gold for similarly intended CD storage.

It follows that archivally-intended projects for which the final storage medium is the DVD should also be preserved at 44.1/16 on gold CDs until there is a gold DVD on the market.

Steven Smolian