Re: [ARSCLIST] Zits cartoon strip

vdalhart wrote:
I may be a luddite but I love books and would have difficulty living without them. I hate e-books. They are almost impossible to read. I am usually reading at least one non-fiction and one fiction book every day. Some days just an hour, some days many hours. I certainly spend more time with books than with TV. Jack

Each has its place. In general, a reference in electronic form is far easier to use than in book form; a text is far easier to enjoy on paper than on the screen. A well-made book is a physical pleasure as well. GBS said it well:

"Now, this is what I call workmanship. There is nothing on earth more exquisite than a bonny book, with well-placed columns of rich black writing in beautiful borders, and illuminated pictures cunningly inset. But nowadays, instead of looking at books, people read them. A book might as well be one of those orders for bacon and bran that you are scribbling."

Thus saith the illiterate English nobleman to his Chaplain in Shw's Saint Joan, Scene 4.

(And now I look forward <G> to the out-of-office reply, an instance where neither form gives much pleasure.)

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/