Re: [ARSCLIST] CD Longevity (was Vinegar syndrome audio tapes [ARSCLIST] Memorex CDs and more)

Bob Conrad wrote:
Richard L. Hess wrote:

At 02:27 PM 1/21/2006, Bob Conrad wrote:

Richard L. Hess wrote:

http://www.uni-muenster.de/Forum-Bestandserhaltung/downloads/iraci.pdf

Maybe I'm reading his tables wrong, but it seems as if the only gold phthalocyanine dye CD-R tested was Kodak Gold 650MB. Does anyone know what other brands fall into this category?

Bob,

The Kodak is discontinued. I believe at least the MAM-A falls into this category. This is what I use.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard --

Sorry to sound stupid, but what is MAM-A? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Thanks,

Bob Conrad

Bob,

IIRC, Kodak licensed its gold phthalocyanine dye from Mitsui Chemical, the patent-holder. "MAM-A" meant Mitsui Advanced Media-America until it became a subsidiary of Computer Support Italcard (CSI) of Milan Italy. I don't know when "MAM-E", Manufacturing Advanced Media Europe, came into being, but "MAM-A" probably now stands for Manufacturing Advanced Media America. So, the same dye is "cast" under many names.

Gary Sprung
Carmel, CA