Re: [ARSCLIST] Met Opera Reocrd Club - was "Other memorable record stores"

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> Again, my understanding is that regardless of who published the
> recordings under what licensing, the copyright was and is held by the
> Metropolitan Opera itself.

Well, the sad fact is that, under US copyright law and a
collection of state laws, it is illegal to reissue ANY
sound recording...and will be until 2067 (unless they again
amend federal law).

Technically, this would apply to every country that is a partner
to international bodies on copyright, since in theory every
copyrighted entity is under copyright everywhere as long as it
is uncer copyright in the country of its origin. This doesn't
seem to apply in practice...exactly why I don't know...