Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

Dnjchi@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 12/10/2005 5:34:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

There were great surplus electronics places in Toronto..I remember when
Teltronics on Yonge Street had piles of World Transcriptions for a quarter a pop
in 1964. Bought the Jan Peerce (Paul Robinson) one and a few others there. If
I'd been older and wiser I'd have bought all of 'em. I know one collector who
found a ton of original 16" Goon Show transcriptions at that place.

While at our college radio station we received a set of Goon Shows on 12" LP 'transcriptions.' I dubbed them all onto tape. Don Chichester

Ah - now we're in one non-classical area of interest to me. <G>

Of the half-vast collection of Goon shows, a subset was distributed (I believe on the 16" transcriptions dlennick cites) to American public radio stations. A subset of those without the musical interludes was published on commercial, 12" LP. (Of course, I am not counting "Bridge on the River Wye" or the execrable film "Down Among the X Men".)

Among those not offered to U.S. radio are some gems, but in general the best (most nearly sane) were culled for the colonies and many of the best of those made it to LP. Still, I miss the piano race and the one in an incomprehensible pseudo-Scottish language. Somewhere among my unlabelled or mislabelled open reels are a couple of 1 7/8 ips tapes with the collection of an Aussie with whom I was friendly some forty years ago.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/