Re: [ARSCLIST] Other memorable record stores

Mike Richter wrote:

> All the usual market forces would ensure that prices were remarkably low
> if not for the absurd extension of copyright to ensure that the
> corporations holding rights to decades-old material maintained their
> monopoly. Since they are remiss in reissues of any but the most popular
> material and unwilling to allow others to do so (with exceptions such as
> Testament), they are destroying the heritage through malign neglect.
>
> Let me cite one instance. In the 1950s, the Metropolitan Opera Record
> Club issued a series of recordings using featured singers and conductors
> who are otherwise almost undocumented. The Met holds the copyright and
> zealously defends it, though I am told on good authority that they not
> only have lost the masters but no longer even have good copies of many
> of the issued LPs. So Kirsten's Tosca, Tucker's Lenski and Mitropoulos's
> (abridged) Walkuere are little more than rumors in terms of legal issues.
>
> Mike

And those discs are coming close to the 50-year mark, if we can just hold back
the copyright extensions for a couple of years......Canada isn't going to change
for quite a while yet, incidentally, since there'd barely been anything proposed
and our Parliament is now in election mode till the end of January.

And I have near mint copies of many of those Met sets.

dl