Re: [ARSCLIST] Storing Mini-Discs

Back eons ago when I first started using digital hardware/software to edit motion pictures, the MO was considered to be a less expensive storage option (with its drive) than hard drives. It's hard to believe that a 450 MB hard drive would have about cost $1000 then. But, the technology for MOs wasn't perfected then (they became corrupted) as I lost some audio/video files in trusting them. I would guess that has changed, today.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions

Richard L. Hess wrote:

Lou,

You raise good points about the M-O structure of MDs. I hope I was careful to address the player issue in my original post. Your friend may be correct, but I believe most life-time analysis has been done on industrial M-Os not MDs. I'm sure not trusting my stuff to MD. I consider it a capture medium, not an archival medium.

There have been both manufacturer and independent testing about the longevity of the Phthalocyanine dye used in the MAM-A discs. It is claimed that this is a Mitsui patent.

I suspect that the writing drive is an issue for both MDs and CDs. Jerry can chime in with more details here.

I'm using managed disc drives for much of my current storage and I am a fan of managed storage in the data domain. I am not a fan of dedicated formats in general for archiving. I make an exception for gold audio CD-Rs as they are readable in computers as well as audio players.

Cheers,

Richard