Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Storage of audio CDs (preservation by distribution))

"Steven C. Barr" wrote:

> > Karl Miller wrote:
> >
> > > And, knowing that the subscribers to this list are amongst the best in
> > > reformatting and restoration...I would wonder if anyone would like to
> > > share stories on recordings they have preserved that they consider to be
> > > treasures...things that, for reasons of the US copyrights, and the
> > > potential costs involved (legal and license fees, etc) cannot be made
> > > available to the general public. Recordings that may reside in private
> > > hands and/or have not been listed in any of the major bibliographic
> > > utilities.
> >
> Actually, because I live in Canada, I can reissue anything from my
> half-vast 78rpm archive that was recorded before January 1, 1955;
> in fact, I could offer the copies on the Internet, but all you
> US-ians would be breaking the law if you bought them! I would,
> however, have to pay the Harry Fox Agency to be entirely legal.
>
> Note that this is as I understand it...
>
> Steven C. Barr

No, I think you can legally issue anything in Canada that was ISSUED before
January 1/55 and deal with CRIA if you're manufacturing in Canada, not Harry
Fox. And there's nothing to stop any US customer from purchasing from a Canadian
dealer. As of a few years ago, my understanding was that CRIA didn't want to be
bothered if you were selling only a few hundred copies of your product....maybe
that's changed with the proliferation of file-sharing and illegal copying.

dl