Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright of treasures (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Storage of audio CDs (preservation by distribution))

On 06/10/05, Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Actually, because I live in Canada, I can reissue anything from my
> half-vast 78rpm archive that was recorded before January 1, 1955;
> in fact, I could offer the copies on the Internet, but all you
> US-ians would be breaking the law if you bought them! I would,
> however, have to pay the Harry Fox Agency to be entirely legal.
>
> Note that this is as I understand it...

The recordings may be out of copyright, but the music (in the sense of
what could be printed as sheet music) may not be.

If the music is public domain, then you are in the clear.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx