Re: [ARSCLIST] Requiem for the DAT (redux, was Storage of audio CDs)

Dear Tom,

Considering all of the variables that surround the creation (and retrieval) of optical media archival storage, I must say that "industry standardization" regarding CD-R is at best a misplaced argument. Many users of CD-R media for backup look for the best deal (100 spindle for $25, total junk) and expect that to be a good archival format. Even if you are using the best archival Gold CD-R media out there, you have (at best) a perilous digital archive.

It is not about the shelf life, it is about the availability of drives (and perhaps compatible software/ firmware) on which you place your assets.

Regarding DVD+/-R, I would say that your hopes may or may not have an influence on which camp wins (DVD-HD/ Blu-Ray), and no one knows the backwards compatibility of the next generation readers.

John

John Spencer
www.bridgemediasolutions.com