Re: [ARSCLIST] Requiem for the DAT (redux, was Storage of audio CDs)

At 08:49 PM 10/3/2005, Tom Fine wrote:
Hi Richard:

I'd worry even more about the dual-layer DVD
media, just based on historical experience with multi-layer plastic
products.

Tom, Aren't all DVDs two layers of plastic?

I would bet that for every one DAT mechanism ever manufactured (and I'd
guess maybe 50% of all ever made, or more, are no longer in good working
order), there have been 20+ laser-bearing drives made that can read most or
all formats of 5" plastic discs. And for every DAT tape ever spooled, maybe
50+ blank CDR's have rolled out of Asian factories. That's a good harbinger
for the long-term viability of the CDR format.

My guess is, that even including DataDATs, your numbers are way low. I would think the ratio is way higher, but even at your numbers...

This is an example where
industry standardization on a method and form factor is a very Good Thing.
I'm hoping very much that DVD+/-R is a continuation of the Good Thing but
it's pretty early to pass judgement.

I do send out a fair amount of work on DVD-R discs and tell people PLEASE make copies, and I keep their originals and my files around until they let me know they are happy and have checked everything.

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/