Re: [ARSCLIST] CF or microdrive?

hello there,
Wolverine's FlashPac will allow you to transfer to a drive without a computer:
http://www.wolverinedata.com/

no I don't work for them,
/EL

On Sep 27, 2005, at 8:26 PM, Richard L. Hess wrote:

At 07:12 PM 9/27/2005, Steven C. Barr wrote:

It seems to me that another possibility might be to equip at least
one computer with an exchangeable/insertable disk drive, save the
material as digital files to a disk drive used only for that
purpose and use that as a backup. Since the disk drive(s) wouldn't
be constantly spinning, useful life might be extended considerably?

Hi, Steve,

When I'm in the field shooting pictures, I copy the CF cards to the laptop AND to a LaCie tiny 40GB USB drive that is powered off the USB port.

I would do the same with audio. The LaCie drive lives in my camera bag (which comes with me often). The computer stays buried in the luggage in the car, but comes into the motel every night. It's as much diversity as I can muster -- better than the film days, for sure.

I think USB or FW drives are the way to go for this stuff.

I don't think putting CF cards on the shelf makes any sense, and I think putting MDs on the shelf makes little more sense, how will we play them in 50 years? It's such a niche format.

In my opinion, there are only two things better than a USB or FW drive:
(1) A drive that has BOTH USB and FW ports
(2) A drive that has an Ethernet port, although that is a bit more difficult to use in the field
but easier to use back at the ranch. It's also, at least now, more expensive.

While exchangeable drives are useful, I think the universality of the USB/FW drives makes them a better choice for this application. In fact, my two 1TB stores are made up of four 250GB drives. Two are in each main LaCie Ethernet Disk and two are FW attached to each Ethernet Disk. I can add a fair number of additional drives. As you may have read, one of the 1TB stores is now in my neighbour's basement at the end of a 100 BASE FX fibre link. He has an IOMEGA 250GB Ethernet drive in my basement.

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http:// www.richardhess.com/tape/
Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/ contact.htm