[ARSCLIST] Advise sought on portable recorders

Hi Guys,

The Center for Popular Music at Middle Tennessee State University is
considering updating our portable recorders.  These machines will be used by
staff and students to conduct interviews and gather oral history in the
field.  Quality, cost, ruggedness, reliability and storage capacity is
always a consideration but we'd like to get something that is also both user
friendly and allows easy manipulation and transfer of data to a PC.

Mini Disc is high on the list at present but the pocket "memory card" type
voice recorder has also been suggested.

Anyone care to weigh in with an opinion on either of these or possibly other
alternatives?

All replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks.  :-)

Martin Fisher