Re: [ARSCLIST] CF or microdrive?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard L. Hess" <ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> When I went to digital photography in the spring of 2003, I could not
> bring myself to consider microdrives for that application, and
> bought, at that time, two 1G flash cards. I now have a pair of
> near-obsolete Nikon D100s and four 1GB flash cards. I still don't own
> a microdrive. I don't see the advantage. I'd rather transfer the CF
> contents to two laptop-sized disk drives than trust the microdrive
> with the only copy of anything.
>
> Remember, I'm the one who believes in redundancy.
>
> I've had flash memory now for about 10-12 years, starting with a
> PCMCIA card 5MB for my HP-100LX palmtop and it's been fine.
>
> I don't think I'd recommend microdrives for field recording, either.
> 4GB flash cards are now available.

It seems to me that another possibility might be to equip at least
one computer with an exchangeable/insertable disk drive, save the
material as digital files to a disk drive used only for that
purpose and use that as a backup. Since the disk drive(s) wouldn't
be constantly spinning, useful life might be extended considerably?