Re: [ARSCLIST] Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Steven Smolian wrote:

> Many of us on this list are "of an age."  I'm 70.  I can hear 9K jes' fine,
> 10K isf the wind is behind the speakers and blowing in my direction.
>
> Has it occurred to anyone that what we experienced sound restoration
> engineers are spending our lives and big bucks on is to make highest
> fidelity copies for 20 year olds, most of who can still hear the over-15K
> frequenceis but do not have the requisite time-in-the-books to make serious
> use of the significance of the program material?  Just asking.

Yes, it has occurred to me...however, on a related note...some 20 years
ago when I was teaching electronic/computer music I would give my students
a health lecture about listening at loud amplitudes.  Needless to say,
every semester I had one student who would say something like, "well I've
played in a rock band since I was 14 and it hasn't bothered me." Needless
to say, I always had at least one test subject...the saddest example was a
19 year old who could not hear past 11,000 cps. In short, I'm not sure all
of them can hear 15K.

Karl 57 and on a good day, about 13,500cps