Re: [ARSCLIST] Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

At 09:58 PM 1/17/2005 -0800, Rod Stephens wrote:
I think the basic problem is that we have no "perfect" listener, no
matter how "golden" his or her ears are.  Everybody hears things from
their subjective standpoint (or sitpoint).

I'm sorry, but I believe you are overconstraining the problem. I suggest that determining which is better is a secondary issue. What we need to determine first is whether they are perceived as different. If a system with enough frequency response can be invoked, then any listener can be asked to determine same / different. (Well, I suppose it takes someone at least up to Sesame Street level - they have a program or two on the subject.) Some may be insensitive to the differences (if any); others may be too discriminating; but my guess is that there will be a substantial consensus.

If we find that they cannot be made to sound the same, then the question of
which is more accurate becomes relevant. For that, 'golden ears' or
objective measurement will be needed. But why not try taking an easy first
step first? It may turn out that we don't need a second.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/