Re: [ARSCLIST] Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Steven Smolian wrote:
> > Many of us on this list are "of an age."  I'm 70.  I can hear 9K jes'
fine,
> > 10K isf the wind is behind the speakers and blowing in my direction.
> > Has it occurred to anyone that what we experienced sound restoration
> > engineers are spending our lives and big bucks on is to make highest
> > fidelity copies for 20 year olds, most of who can still hear the
over-15K
> > frequenceis but do not have the requisite time-in-the-books to make
serious
> > use of the significance of the program material?  Just asking.
> Yes, it has occurred to me...however, on a related note...some 20 years
> ago when I was teaching electronic/computer music I would give my students
> a health lecture about listening at loud amplitudes.  Needless to say,
> every semester I had one student who would say something like, "well I've
> played in a rock band since I was 14 and it hasn't bothered me." Needless
> to say, I always had at least one test subject...the saddest example was a
> 19 year old who could not hear past 11,000 cps. In short, I'm not sure all
> of them can hear 15K.
> Karl 57 and on a good day, about 13,500cps
There's a scary part to all this! Many of the engineers who do the remixes
on today's CD's started out as sound men at rock clubs...or, worse yet,
played in bands! This means these remixes are being done by people with
about 50% of their hearing left, not to mention the bandwidths involved...
Steven C. Barr
(see earlier post about MY "hearing"...)