Re: [ARSCLIST] Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

Many of us on this list are "of an age."  I'm 70.  I can hear 9K jes' fine,
10K isf the wind is behind the speakers and blowing in my direction.

Has it occurred to anyone that what we experienced sound restoration
engineers are spending our lives and big bucks on is to make highest
fidelity copies for 20 year olds, most of who can still hear the over-15K
frequenceis but do not have the requisite time-in-the-books to make serious
use of the significance of the program material?  Just asking.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rod Stephens" <savecal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 1:49 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

And I'm sorry, Mike, if you think I was not agreeing with your original
premise of  having the digital/analogue blind test; I think it would
take a bit of time with multiple sessions and listeners whose hearing
had been tested, but it probably would show that a "high fidelity"
(still a very pertinent phrase) to the original recording is perceived
with both sources (analogue/digital).

Perhaps this discussion is much tempest in a teapot when I would guess
that all the members of this list own a good number of CD's and other
digital recordings themselves unless they're true analogue purists.  So,
the seeming technical lacks of digital hasn't stopped us from accepting
it as one of the better current recording techniques.   And, it's
getting better to my ear.

Rod Stephens
Family Theater Productions