Re: [ARSCLIST] New CD Report NIST

At 01:23 PM 12/14/2004 +0100, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:
From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Mike Richter commented:

(Few of us would be
> recording at 60 C, let alone 90 C.) Still, it does provide some basis for
> judgement.

----- Mike, what is the temperature inside the well of your CD-recorder?

I, for one, am uncomfortable with both the hhb audio CD-recorder I use and
the DAT machine. Both have temperatures that I have not measured, but I would
certainly expect something approaching 50 deg. C, due to the way the item
feels when ejected.

Of course, I cannot be certain. A disc from my Plexwriter (12x) is detectably warm at completion - perhaps 25C, no more than 30C. If it were near 60 C, I would be more than a little concerned. I will grant that faster writing in another drive yields a warmer disc and that 60 C may be possible on a DVD, but that is not the issue.

The question is storage over a period of time and the use of longevity when
stored at high temperature as a predictor of longevity at STP or so. It may
not be fair, but let me suggest an analogy to resistance to light. What
inference can be drawn about exposure to ambient room lighting from an
accelerated test using the write laser?

Before I am regarded as overly contentious, let me make clear that I have
no better test to offer. Even if someone proposed to put blanks away for
decades to determine actual longevity, there is no signficant chance that
the results would be of value. Those media and their companies would almost
certainly have become ancient history by the time meaningful results were
obtained. So I do not object to the use of such tests or to their
interpretation as potentially meaningful for the archivist and even the
home user. But I do ask that they be taken with a block of salt and
accepted as all that we know how to do, not as Real Science or
Technological Achievement.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/