Re: [ARSCLIST] New CD Report NIST

At 08:42 AM 12/14/2004 -0600, Rick Taylor wrote:
This report is available for download from the AES:  "AES35-2000 AES standard
for audio preservation and restoration - Method for estimating life expectancy
of magneto-optical (M-O) disks, based on effects of temperature and relative
humidity."

http://www.aes.org/standards/b_pub/aes-standards-in-print.cfm

Thank you for the link. Despite the lack of correspondence between optical and MO media (not unlike the correspondence in toxicity of sodium and sodium chloride), there may well be valuable data here. I note however the assumptions of Section 1.4 (Page 4). To my eye, they approximate: we're giving you what we have; any presumption that it is meaningful is yours, not ours.

1.4 Assumptions
It is the assumption of this standard that the failure mechanisms acting
under the usage conditions are the same as
those at the accelerated conditions. Also, it is assumed that the linearity
of rate estimated over the accelerated and
design conditions is valid. Finally, it is assumed that all failure
mechanisms have been accounted for and
appropriately modeled.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/