Re: [ARSCLIST] New CD Report NIST

Link is http://nvl.nist.gov/pub/nistpubs/jres/109/5/j95sla.pdf

Lots of effort, but the paper has scientific weaknesses.

1. Recordable information layers can be irreversibly modified either
chemically (cyanine) or physically (phthalocyanine).

2. Disc end-of-life occurs when test results exceed any specification of the
relevant standard, even mechanical requirements such as tilt or deviation.
The occurrence of uncorrectable errors is unpredictable, since some drives
are sensitive to certain parameters while others are quite tolerant.

3. BLER is a poor quality indicator for CD discs as discussed in detail at
http://www.mscience.com/longev.html  (NIST has been advised of this paper,
but has chosen to ignore it). Error rates such as E22, or even E12, are
better indicators. Likewise, DVD PI Errors (PIE) are poor DVD indicators,
while PI Fails (PIF) are much better (these are a specific DVD+R quality
requirement).

4. Standards specify a non-condensing humidity environment, while the
profile used by NIST has a significant risk of condensation. Media Sciences
has developed a proprietary profile that avoids this risk.

5. NIST incorrectly states that "Samples containing phthalocyanine performed
better than other dye types." In fact, only one cyanine brand was tested by
NIST, while four phthalocyanine and two azo types were tested. Some
phthalocyanine discs tested better than the cyanine sample while others were
worse.

Lots of data, but avoid taking it all at face value.

Jerry Hartke
Media Sciences, Inc.