Re: [ARSCLIST] Recording 1 7/8 at 3 3/4

Yes, the EQ will be off.

First of all, I hope you're doing this at 88.2ks/s because if you're doing
it at 44.1 you're brick walling the final response at 10K--well, I know
there isn't much above 10K at 1-7/8, but it would be nice if you did this
at 88.2.

Anyway, here's another one of my contributions to this field.

Get a 1.88 test tape from Jay McKnight at MRL.

Play it at 2x and record it into the workstation.

Apply the EQ so it's flat--you're equalizing several different factors.

What I do is run a shelf curve down around 1800Hz (IIRC) using the HF EQ in
Samplitude I then use the mid-high peak control to try and flatten out the
highest tone -- this is, to some extent, compensating for gap loss.

Listen and adjust slight to suit...sometimes a bit of a rolloff is better
than trying to go too screechy.

You can also adjust based on your test tapes using conversion factors in
the MRL document Choosing and Using a Test Tape, or you can suss out the
information and write an Excel spreadsheet to give you the corrections.
I'll share my spreadsheet on an as-is-might-not-be-right basis if you ask.

http://www.flash.net/~mrltapes/choo&u.pdf
http://www.flash.net/~mrltapes/pub107.pdf  (for the 1.88 in/s test tapes)

Cheers,

Richard