Re: [ARSCLIST] Sony PR-150 squeal

On 12 May 2003 at 21:31, prabhupada.com wrote:

> Following this thread...if we are talking about tapes that have
> absorbed moisture due to a manufacturing  problem (like ampex 400
> series from the early 1980s and therefore making them squeal and or
> shed), then using a lubricant like a isopropyl drip should be the last
> thing to try. A program of baking at 130f over 8-12 hours should be
> implemented and tried first.

We have been baking tape reels at 125F for 5-8 hours.  We just did
about 30-35 in March and transferred them fairly immediately.  Only
had to redo one (there's one in every crowd).  Put them on metal
reels at playback speed, not fast-anything, and put an empty reel in
between the full ones, for air circulation.  Let them cool down for at
least the same time period as you bake them.

Sue

Susan T Stinson, Curator
Belfer Audio Laboratory and Archive
Syracuse University Library
222 Waverly Ave., Syracuse, NY 13244-2010
315-443-3477    FAX 315-443-4866