Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R hub labels...

At 09:57 AM 5/8/2003 -0400, James L Wolf wrote:
Mike,

  Is it your opinion or knowledge that the threat posed by Sharpie-type
ink on the non-burning CD-R surface is outweighed by the instability of
CD-Rs themselves? Or in other words, how long might it take the solvent
in Sharpie ink to damage to damage the dye of an uncoated CD-R? I
suppose that the exact answer varies from brand to brand, but is there a
general estimate?

Can you hear me giving a yell for Jerry (Hartke)? Is it audible all the way over wherever you are? <G>

I have no need for anything approaching archival storage. My recordings are
for myself or they are pressed. If I send a personal copy to a friend, I
rely on him to attend to its preservation. As a result, I use a Sharpie
freely where I believe the coating is suitable. I had one manufacturer - no
longer in the business - assure me that his overcoating was safe with the
Sharpie solvent and I never had a disc go bad from it. Where I have any
doubt at all, I use a TDK "CD Writer" pen. While it costs more than others
with water-based inks, the price per disc is negligible and these are easy
to add to an order for discs, envelopes, mailers, etc.

In short, the advice to archivists is: Do as I say, not as I do. When I
send a disc in for pressing, it is unmarked.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/