Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R hub labels...

Mike,

  Is it your opinion or knowledge that the threat posed by Sharpie-type
ink on the non-burning CD-R surface is outweighed by the instability of
CD-Rs themselves? Or in other words, how long might it take the solvent
in Sharpie ink to damage to damage the dye of an uncoated CD-R? I
suppose that the exact answer varies from brand to brand, but is there a
general estimate?

James

3. Sharpie uses a solvent for its ink and even Sanford recommends
against
it on CD. They and others offer water-based inks which are relatively
benign on the acrylic lacquer upper surface of an uncoated disc. If you
use
a coated disc, the manufacturer may claim and you may believe that it
is
safe with solvents such as those in the Sharpie. I tend to believe
them,
but I am not concerned about archival preservation on CD-R.