Re: arsclist A to D Transfer Advice Please

On 27-Feb-02, Cameron Kissel wrote:

> What's the best way to go about digitizing this collection? Would a
> simple cassette to wav to CDR work? Are there other steps that anyone
> would recommend to bring back or bring out what's on the tape? Any and
> all help would be greatly appreciated.

IMO the most important thing is to use a deck with very good mechanics,
to keep down the wow and flutter.

I find I get good results from the Tascam 122 Mk III.

Then you want a sound card or external digitiser that is designed for
sound quality rather than for games. I'm not expert here, but Terratec
and Echo are makes with good reputations. Creative is not.

http://www.echoaudio.com/

My feeling is that if archival transfers are made in 24/96, they will
offer more data for advanced processing software which may come along in
the future. For example, one can imagine software which could reduce the
distortion introduced by the original cassette deck.

But CD standard done with good gear will be better than 24/96 done with
tacky gear.

Regards
--
Don Cox