[PADG:1569] RE: cell phones

We already have policies in place about disruptive behavior which also cover
cell phones. We don't see a big difference between boom boxes and cell
phones--it's okay to listen to music on headphones if the volume is low
enough that it doesn't disturb others, and it's okay to have your cell phone
in vibrating mode and go to a phone booth to have your conversation when
someone is trying to reach you.

"Cell phones" are one version of technology which is mutating very rapidly
as PDAs are integrated. You may not want people to make public calls but if
you ban the instrument you are also, in short order, going to be also
banning other tools which can directly support scholarship and efficient use
of education dollars.

Our main library building is also very good at killing cell signals before
they get inside the building, which helps but I can't claim it was planned
that way in 1963. We are now putting in wireless connectivity throughout
campus so the use of laptops, which are more and more multi-media platforms,
is going to get even higher. Are you going to prevent a student from
watching a DVD on his own machine in the middle of the lobby? Is there any
way to teach people to turn off that really stupid sound Windows makes when
it boots?

Don't even try to pinpoint the technology as the issue. The issue is
behavior, and your policies need to address levels of behavior which affect
other people regardless of the supplemental equipment involved.

Normandy Helmer
Coordinator of Preservation & Digital Services/
Oregon Newspaper Project
541-346-1864/fax 541-346-1882
nhelmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

UO Libraries--Spec. Coll.